Saturday, January 19, 2013

Frugal Diapering Doesn't Involve Pin Pricks

Our journey with cloth diapers started in 2009.  At the time I was pregnant with our daughter, and we were beginning to think about all the things we needed in preparation for her arrival.  The obvious items we needed were diapers. I had always been very passionate about the environment, and thinking about thousands of disposable diapers going into a landfill made me feel a bit sick.  My mom had used cloth diapers on my sister and I as babies, so at least I knew there was an alternative.  I told my husband I wanted to use cloth diapers and expected to have to fight with him on the issue.  Instead he stoically responded "OK."  My shocked expression prompted him to follow with, "You realize I'm Dutch, right?  My mom used cloth diapers on me as a baby." That frugal Dutch upbringing was paying off: he knew cloth diapers would save us money.

We both thought cloth diapers were going to entail pins and folding.  I was nervous about using pins around a baby, but I was determined to make it work even if I would probably stab myself a few thousand times.  Since I had no clue about anything related to cloth diapers (Where do I buy them? How do I fold them?) I started my search in the usual way: Google.  I typed "Cloth Diapers" into the field and within seconds I was staring at colorful, modern diapers without pins.  Wow... cloth diapers were... AWESOME!  I raced to tell my husband about all the choices available.  He convinced me to stay conservative and buy a trial package of prefold diapers (with covers and Snappi closures) and 6 FuzziBunz pocket diapers.  We decided the prefolds would be used at home and the pocket diapers would be sent to daycare (we'd researched daycare centers that would use cloth diapers too).  We spent around $240 on the purchase of 30 diapers, and within a week the diapers arrived.  I instantly fell in love with the FuzziBunz diapers.  They seemed easy to use, and gave me some reassurance that I could actually make this work.  The prefolds were a bit foreign and frightening.  They arrived stiff and flat, and needed to undergo 10 washes before they were "quilted" for use.  Once all the diapers were ready, I organized them nicely into our dresser/changing table, and then we waited.

When our daughter arrived she was almost 9 lbs, and easily fit into the cloth diapers we'd purchased.  Although there were some prefold mishaps in the beginning, we quickly got the hang of it.  My husband constantly bragged about how much better he was at folding prefold diapers: "Poop never gets on the cover when I put on the diapers."  We had a healthy competition about it, and we were getting very good at cloth diapering. We worked as a team to wash, line dry, and fold diapers. I continued to read more and more about cloth diapers, and started sharing what I'd learned with friends and family.  Other people needed to know this information and know that there was an alternative to disposable diapers!  The rest is history.  Cloth diapering has become much more than simply a way for us to keep disposable diapers out of a landfill or a way to save money.  It has created a passion for making other healthy and eco-conscious choices, and for informing others about the benefits of cloth diapering.



Cloth Diaper Blog Hop 2013
How did you get started with cloth diapering?

Cloth 101 Blog Hop January 4th 2013: Find out how other families started their cloth diapering adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment