Thursday, May 16, 2013

Flats and Handwashing Challenge May 20-26

Next week is the Flats and Handwashing Challenge from "Dirty Diaper Laundry".  This event is intended to raise awareness about cloth diapering and handwashing: to show that any family can use cloth diapers regardless of having access to laundry facilities. 

While this is the third year of the event, there is still a misconception that hand washing is not a practical option for families.  Mainstream media protests that cloth diapers are just "not feasible" for a family living at the poverty line.  One in three American families struggles to afford disposable diapers.  Of these families, some have even gone so far as to clean out and reuse disposable diapers.  Reusing disposable diapers is a practice that is extremely dangerous and makes the child very susceptible to diaper rash and illness.

Of course better resources are needed to provide diapers to families that are struggling financially (disposable diapers are not covered by food stamps or WIC). Cloth diapering represents an extremely practical way for families to safely diaper their children for pennies a day.  The flats challenge has two parts: first, showing that diapers can be handwashed with ease, and second, showing that cloth diapering can be extremely inexpensive.  Flat diapers can be any sort of absorbent material: a cut up 100% cotton T-shirt, and old towel, a receiving blanket.  If it's absorbent, it will work as a cloth diaper.
 
I handwashed microfiber pocket diapers during a week at the cabin, but this will be my first experience hand washing flat style diapers.

This is my first year participating in the Flats and Hand washing Challenge.  It's not my first time hand washing cloth diapers, but it will be my first time using flat diapers.  If you are interested in taking part in the challenge with me, please visit the event website here and get more information about how to register as a participant.

11 comments:

  1. I could NEVER ever ever partake in this challenge. My washing machine would get too lonely lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my washer would be getting lonely! Unfortunately with a family of four (plus a furry pet), and two under the age of 3 yrs the washer gets plenty of use. We have a minimum of 7 loads of clothes laundry per week. I'm no the type to wash small loads either!

      Delete
  2. I'm doing it! This will be my first year! I do not mind the extra work. I have hand washed once b4. I have only a few flats and and two kids in diapers! It is going to be a challenge for sure but it will be a +1 to my experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm glad you're doing this. We'll also be limited by a small number of flats, but I only have 1 in diapers.

      Delete
  3. Im looking forward to it. I have two in diapers but will only do it for my baby girl. My son started with earth friendly diapers bit now transitioned into cloth. my baby daughter started cloth at like 3months old, she is now 7 months and I love them. I work so my mom will help me with the changing, I will do the washing. Although I have already washed flats by hand, when my sister was a baby we were still in Mexico so my mom cloth diapered us all and since I was the oldest female I helped with washing her flats. So I dont mind washing my own daughters diapers. I have an area outside just to hand wash them. have a few flats made out of cotton tees that we dont want to wear anymore, they work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have saved more of my husband's old white T-shirts, they would have made great flat diapers!

      Delete
  4. I considered doing it, but I never took the time to order flats. I'm not opposed to handwashing, so I don't think it would be that bad. I already handwash my diapers out really well before I put them in the washer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to participate next year because we really do love flats. Too much was going on, though. Settling into a new house and finishing up home schooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm trying this since I've never used flats before. They seem really practical and easy to wash.

      Delete
  6. I'm not, but some of the other ladies from Cloth for a Cause will be taking part to prove that poverty is not an obstacle to using cloth. (Especially since we exist to ease the diapering expenses of the impoverished!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would totally participate! But I'm only 5.5 months pregnant and I still have to order my flats from GMD at the end of the week. Hopefully next year though :)

    ReplyDelete