Friday, May 24, 2013

Flats challenge willpower: When does supplementing make sense?

Before I knew it, it was the 4th day of the challenge.  So far I had exclusively used flat diapers and handwashed without the temptation of cheating, but that was about to change.  I had a doctor's appointment in the morning for a minor medical procedure. Once we got home, the pain from the procedure was really bothering me.  I managed to get the kids settled down enough and into their rooms for naps, and then I collapsed on my own bed.  I was awakened after two hours when my almost 3-year-old wandered into my room and declared that nap-time was over.  Thankfully, I was feeling much better from the pain medicine and the nap, but then I remembered I had diapers to handwash.  

I've done quite a bit of handwashing before.  I've even exclusively handwashed microfiber pocket diapers during a week-long trip to the cabin.  However, this challenge has made me realize that handwashing on a vacation is different from handwashing in day-to-day life. I've been finding that there are moments where handwashing just isn't practical. There may be times where supplementing with the occasional disposable diaper just makes sense: and I think that's OK.  Handwashing doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing (I'll talk more about this in an upcoming post).

I handwashed the diapers and hung them on the clothes line outside.  This was the first day of the challenge where it was not raining. It was a sunny and warm day, so the diapers dried quickly.  The great weather definitely boosted everyone's spirits, and I was pleased when I realized I was over half way done with the challenge!



2 comments:

  1. It's been raining here too. The next nice day is Monday. I'm hoping I can make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there! It looks like we're having a rainy weekend too. It's the home stretch...

      Delete