Friday, May 31, 2013

"Giving Diapers, Giving Hope" Barefoot Book Fundraiser


 
"Giving Diapers, Giving Hope" Barefoot Books Fundraiser
June 1st- June 20th 2013
Fundraising Goal: $200

Take 20% off your purchase (one time use, so make the most of it!) with code TWENTY13


After participating in the Flats and Handwashing Challenge, I talked about how difficult the challenge was and how something needed to be done about the severe poverty that many Americans are facing. The challenge was brutal for me, but I knew being forced to handwash cloth diapers for a week was nothing in comparison to the difficult decisions some families are facing.  Decisions about buying diapers, or buying food. It sickened me to think that impoverished families in America are reusing disposable diapers, and that 1 in 3 American families struggles to afford disposable diapers. After the challenge I made a donation to "Giving Diapers, Giving Hope," an organization that provides cloth diapers to struggling families.


"[Our mission is] To provide free cloth diapers to low income families to help alleviate the cost of diapering their children which will help them use their money for other essentials."

I knew I wanted to do more to help "Giving Diapers, Giving Hope," so I decided to have a Barefoot Books fundraising event. From as long as I can remember, I've always had a love of reading.  One of my favorite childhood memories is of lying on the living room rug, while my mom read aloud from a chapter book about wolves. Of course, a love of reading is something I want to instill in my own children. Our daughter has always enjoyed having us read her books and it seems like books are one of the few things she is consistently interested in.

When I found Barefoot Books, I discovered that there was something very special about these books.  Barefoot Books was started in England in 1992 when two mothers decided to create a book company that promoted early literacy while also sending positive messages of environmental sustainability, appreciation for ethnic diversity, and healthy living.  These are all things I want my children to learn about.  The artwork in Barefoot Books is incredibly beautiful, colorful and fun.


Barefoot Books Sing-A-Long books come with enhanced CDs to listen, watch, and learn!  This book shows how four children from around the globe get ready in the morning: giving children an appreciation for culture and ethnicity.

One of the things I love about Barefoot Books is that there are so many ways to interact with them.  We naturally spend a lot of time reading to our daughter, but with Barefoot, a story is never just a story. Many of the Barefoot books come with enhanced CDs.  In the Sing-Along books, you can listen to the song, watch an animation of the story, and sing along to the music.  Enhanced CDs are also available for story books, which allows your child to hear the story narrated by characters.  I also love the teaching aspect of Barefoot Books.  In one of our favorite books, "My Granny Went to the Market," we are taken on a colorful round-the-world journey, and without realizing it you've been teaching your child how to count from 1 to 10, recognize numbers ("1", "one"), and quantify.  I like to say, "Show me 4 fingers!" or, "Point to the number three!"
 
"Jack and the Beanstalk" with enhanced CD from Barefoot was a life-saver during my maternity leave.  I could set my older child up with the book and narrated CD, and have 15 minutes to get a few chores done without interruption.  She would have listened to this book all day if I had let her!
Needless to say, we are crazy about Barefoot Books and very excited for a fundraiser that will appeal to so many families, even those not in the cloth diapering community: so please share with your friends!

 Nissa Mollema is a Barefoot Books Ambassador.  If you'd like more information on the Ambassador program, please visit the Barefoot Books website. Sales from outside of North America will not earn affiliate profit, and will therefore not be counted towards the GDGH fundraising event. Event graphics courtesy of Pasta Noodle Graphic Design.

8 comments:

  1. There is such a HUGE need in this country for an affordable and safe diapering option for lower income families. GDGH is such a great organization that can give families the tools they need to safely diaper their children (and save them thousands of dollars).

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the Bear on a Bike board book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving Diapers, Giving Hope relieves poverty by lifting one burden of the disadvantaged: they no longer have to choose between buying diapers or buying food. This provides peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three billy goats gruff. a classic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because cloth may be more expensive in the short run it can save families in need money in the long run

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the "Emily's Tiger" book looks great! Too bad I'm noticing this a little late, but will definitely have to revisit to shop for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful, thank you for supporting GDGH! I am keeping the event open through the weekend, so we should be able to get a few more sales in to support the organization.

      Delete
  7. GD,GH helps people become able to reuse a necessary product that so many people (myself in the past included)think of as just disposable and money in the trash.

    ReplyDelete