Monday, October 7, 2013

Milk Diapers Reusable Cloth Nursing Pads #Review

Breastfeeding offers a number of benefits for the mother and the baby, but it is important for the mother to take care of herself while nursing.  This includes having a healthy diet, getting enough rest, drinking plenty of liquids, and taking care of her breast health.  Emptying the breasts frequently is important to prevent the development breast infections like mastitis.  Although less serious, breast irritation can occur from ineffective latch while nursing, course fabrics, or damp fabrics.


While nursing, milk let-down occurs in both breasts and nursing pads are needed to absorb milk leaking from the non-nursing breast.  Disposable nursing pads trap moisture directly next to the breast and must be changed frequently. This creates irritation from damp fabrics and a situation for infection to develop.  Reusable cloth nursing pads do not trap moisture against the breast, are softer and often more absorbent, and they are washed with your regular laundry.  Cloth nursing pads are a great way to care for your breasts while nursing- plus they are also less expensive than disposable pads.

Milk Diapers makes reusable nursing pads and the company was created by five-time mother Felicia Gowrylow over thirty years ago.  Milk Diapers understands the importance of breast health and breastfeeding confidence, and they offer a variety of products to fit the needs of nursing mothers. All of the pads are contoured for a natural fit and discrete look. I was given the opportunity to try Milk Diapers new sampling pad pack.  




Sampling pack contents:


2 Moisture Guard Pads: A five-layer pad with waterproof PUL backing to prevent leaks during heavy leaking
2 Four-layer White Pads
2 Five-layer Natural Pads
2 White Lace Pads
 
I had a great experience with all the various pads in the Milk Diapers sampling pack. My favorite pads were the white and natural pads: both were very soft and flexible. I liked that Milk Diapers were naturally contoured and they were not noticeable under T-shirts or nursing tank tops.  The pads stayed in place and they were comfortable - I easily forgot that I was wearing them and didn't have to worry about milk leaking.
White Lace pad is very trim

All the pads are lined with a soft flannel fabric that is very absorptive.  My infant son was ill during my first few days using the Milk Diapers nursing pads, and I didn't experience any leaks during his inconsistent eating schedule.  During one day, I noticed some mild itching after wearing the White Lace Pads for 24-hours.  Milk Diapers recommends changing the pads immediately if you notice any itching: itching is caused by dried milk on the pad.  I don't wear my nursing pads for longer than 24-hours, so I was already planning to change the nursing pads at that point.

Reusable nursing pads are a necessity for nursing mothers, and Milk Diapers makes a variety of high-quality products.  I had a wonderful experience with the sampling pack, and you can try some of these pads for yourself.  Milk Diapers is giving reusable nursing pads to one lucky reader.

Winner's Choice: Sampling 8 pad pack or 10 pads* 

*excludes the XL moisture guard
Milk Diapers provided the Sampling 8 pad pack for me to review.  I was under no obligation to provide a positive review or support a giveaway, and this review reflects my honest opinions about this product.

  a Rafflecopter giveaway

23 comments:

  1. I currently use cloth nursing pads. They are very absorbent and I love that I'm not throwing money away by using disposable. My name is Hannah J in the rafflecopter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use cloth. I love that I just rewash them and they're good to go! I dislike how they show through my shirt, but I've never leaked through them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the reusable pads just because I can't afford disposables. They don't always work perfectly but that's mostly because mine aren't lined with any sort of moisture barrier - they're just plain bamboo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont currently use pads, but with my previous child I used disposable pads - I'm expecting in November, and I hadn't even realized there were reusable pads! I definitely want to get some!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive used both but my reusable ones are super bulky and awkward and the disposables stick and get itchy. im game to try other brands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use cloth because they are more absorbant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I plan to nurse baby who is due in December I could use these :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using disposable but would definitely prefer reuseables.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm using disposables at the moment, I dislike having to buy more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use both. I don't have enough reuseable ones that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use bamboo breast pads and I love them! Would love to have a few more though so I wouldn't have to worry about them being washed in time though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only use them during the day when I know I will be nursing frequently. I have 2 different brands, but they leak if I wear them through the night or if baby is fed pumped milk. I am on a hunt to find reusable pads I can trust!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use washable. I don't like the itchiness, but I have only tried one brand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I plan to nurse my baby due in January and use reusable nursing pads

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used disposable with my first but plan to use reusable with my second.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neither yet, but I'll try both reusable and disposable when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use both... I don't have enough, so I use disposables when I haven't gotten around to doing laundry :) I like the cost savings of the reusables, but I find both types to be equally as comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be breastfeeding for the first time come December. I plan to use reusable cloth nursing pads.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I currently use both disposable and cloth because I dont have a large stash of cloth. I love how cloth is so soft and doesnt irritate or stick to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nothing yet, but I'm planning to use cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I use both. I like my bamboobies and lansinoh disposable best, since those are the only two I have never leaked from. Unfortunately, more bamboobies aren't in the budget...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have 2 sets of reusable pads I like them a lot better than the disposibles, I have sensitive skin and find the disposibles to be itchy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm planning on using reusable ones. Have managed to get a set of each and the texture alone makes a difference. I'm allergic to almost everything disposable so using cloth pads is a no brainer.

    ReplyDelete