Monday, November 25, 2013

Molly's Suds Cloth Diaper Laundry Powder #Review

This past September, I had the opportunity to try Molly's Suds Cloth Diaper Laundry Powder.  This was a new product for Molly's Suds, and the company was looking for several bloggers to test the detergent.  I took this challenge very seriously and decided to test the detergent for three months before making any conclusions.  I wanted to know if Molly's Suds Cloth Diaper Laundry Powder cleaned well, but I also needed to know if the detergent caused any problems with my cloth diapers. 
I was nervous about switching to a new cloth diaper detergent, but I knew we needed a change.  We have a baby with some very problematic eczema and it was being aggravated by using cloth diapers.  At first, I attributed baby's frequent diaper rashes to using hand-me-down cloth diapers from our older child.  As a veteran cloth diaper user, I felt that we already had a laundry routine that worked well. I stripped the diapers to remove any build-up that could be causing irritation, but the rash persisted.  I even resorted to bleaching the diapers, but there was still no change or improvement in the rash.  I tried three different brands of cloth diaper safe detergent and there was no change.  We were frequently supplementing with disposable diapers to help control the rash: the rash would get better for a few days and then come back once we were using cloth diapers full-time again. Our doctor confirmed that our baby's diaper area was irritated from eczema and it was not a yeast rash. Obviously, what we were doing wasn't working with our son's skin and I finally accepted that we either needed to find a solution or throw in the hat.

Once we made the switch to Molly's Suds, there was a huge improvement in our son's diaper rash.  Within two weeks, I was no longer needing to use disposable diapers to control the rash, and we didn't need to use rash cream as frequently.  I was so excited to see that we finally found something that seemed to agree with our baby's skin! Not only did Molly's Suds Cloth Diaper Laundry Powder improve our son's diaper rash, but it also worked well with the cloth diapers.


In the three months of using Molly's Suds, we didn't experience any problems with repelling or ammonia.  I had the wonderful opportunity to get a laundry lesson from Monica, the owner of Molly's Suds.  She recommended rinsing the diapers in hot water, washing on hot with two tablespoons of Molly's Cloth Diaper Laundry Powder, and rinsing the diapers. Hot water is incredibly important for washing diapers with Molly's Suds Cloth Diaper Laundry Powder.  Monica recommended turning up the temperature on our water heater before washing diapers.  Water temperature should be around 120 degrees, which is the "hot" setting.  It was very easy to find the switch on the water heater, and higher heat did improve the performance of Molly's Suds Cloth Diaper Laundry Powder.  I usually turned the temperature on the water heater back down to our usual economy setting after washing our diapers.  We had established a great laundry routine with Molly's Sud's Cloth Diaper Laundry Powder and I was enjoying fewer diaper rashes.

Although we had a solution for our diapers, we still struggled with eczema rashes on our son's arms and legs.  We usually keep our son in footed pajamas at all times because this prevents itching and limits interaction with environmental allergens.  I was using a great "natural" detergent, but there were several bad patches of skin which were prone to weeping, cracking, and bleeding.  I finally had the thought to try Molly's Suds Laundry Powder for our son's clothing.  Monica was incredibly helpful and allowed us to test the laundry powder for free.  She mentioned that Molly's Suds Laundry Powder is great for sensitive skin because it lacks surfactants commonly found in mainstream and "natural" laundry detergents.  Surfactants can alter the pH of skin and potentially disrupt the natural oil barrier on our skin.  In people with eczema, the skin barrier is already weak or damaged.  We started using Molly's Suds Laundry powder and had a noticeable change in our son's skin within a matter of days.

After 1-2 washings with Molly's Suds Laundry powder, I started seeing and feeling a difference in our son's skin.  All of a sudden it felt like lotion was actually staying on his skin and creating a barrier.  Prior to Molly's Suds, we would moisturize in the evening and baby's skin would be dry and irritated by the morning.  The areas of skin where we were having problems with weeping and cracking began to heal!  The biggest confirmation that Molly's Suds was working happened three weeks after we began using the Laundry Powder.  Our son had an outfit change at daycare, and he was changed into an outfit washed in a different detergent.  By the end of the day, the rash on his arm was starting to return.  I immediately changed him back into clothing washed in Molly's Suds.
We don't know if our son is allergic to certain detergents, but there is something very special about Molly's Suds that agrees with his skin.  Eczema has many factors, and we know that our son has confirmed food allergies and some environmental triggers.  We haven't identified all the things that bring about flairs in his eczema; however, Molly's Suds made an obvious difference for our son. We made a change to only using Molly's Suds Laundry Powder for all our our family's laundry and for all the sheets and pillows that baby uses at daycare.  Molly's Suds can easily handle dirty clothing from my 3-year-old and keeps my husband's shirts smelling fresh.  Molly's Suds is incredibly gentle for sensitive skin, and it saved us from having to give up on cloth diapering.  I'm so passionate about the difference it made for our son, I decided to become a Molly's Suds Ambassador.*

*As an ambassador, I may receive free Molly's Suds products.  I do not receive any monetary compensation for sharing my opinion about Molly's Suds.

Disclaimer: Consult your doctor if you have a health concern.  Molly's Suds made a difference for our son's eczema, but that does not guarantee that it will work well for everyone.  This review expresses our honest opinions about this product, and we were under no obligation to write a review after trying Molly's Suds products.

6 comments:

  1. I am also a Molly's Suds user (I use the original formula & cloth diaper formula) and I am amazed by the performance on my laundry! My son's and I have extremely sensitive skin and since we started using this detergent, rash problems have ceased. Even with other cloth friendly detergents that are labeled "fragrance-free" & etc., I don't think they wash away as well (even by using the same routine) as Molly's Sud's. this detergent is the first that I recommend to any cloth user :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to look into this i use rockin green but my daughter been having some bad diaper rash she is 21 months right now so we been using disposables on and off since ive been putting heavy diaper cream on her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not had luck with CD-specific detergent - I just use regular detergent. If I ever feel like testing the waters again, I'll have to give Molly's Suds a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of with Lauren on this one, but you definitely made me want to try this (so kudos to a great review!) ;) What are the ingredients of it, though? I'm always curious how something cleans if it doesn't have surfactants - does it have something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at the ingredients on the packages I have here.

      The Cloth Diaper Powder has: Sodium carbonate (sourced from Green River Basin in Wyoming), sodium percarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, and unrefined sea salt.

      The regular laundry powder has: sodium carbonate (again from the Green River Basin), sodium bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate, unrefined sea salt, and organic peppermint.

      I haven't had any issues with either even though there are no surfactants. Once the detergent is in the water it makes the water "feel" different. I'm always surprised when our diapers come out from the wash because they have a really nice fresh scent. I'm constantly asking my husband if he added Oxiclean or anything to it because it's just so fresh--but nope, it's just from the Molly's. So we are really happy with the results and I've had some pretty gross kids' clothes come out looking just fine after using the Molly's Laundry powder. It might be worth getting a free sample on the Molly's Suds website so you can see if you like it.

      Delete
  5. DIY Version:
    Ingredients: sodium bicarbonate- baking soda, sodium carbonate- arm & hammer washing soda, magnesium sulfide- Epsom salts, sodium percarbonate- oxyclean.

    ReplyDelete