Monday, December 2, 2013

Dark Chocolate Morsels for your Dairy-Free sweet tooth

About two months ago, our infant son was diagnosed with allergies to dairy and peanuts.  He is still nursing, and I have to avoid consuming food allergens that will pass to him.  Avoiding peanuts is not very difficult for me, but avoiding dairy is extremely challenging.  There are the obvious dairy products to avoid (like milk, cheese, and butter), but I have to avoid dairy products lurking in breads, packaged foods, and restaurant dishes.

One of the most difficult things about keeping a dairy-free diet is giving up chocolate.  I've always been somewhat of a chocolate addict.  Before going dairy-free, I always had chocolate chips on-hand for baking and, admittedly, for snacking.  Giving up chocolate was enough to send me into chocolate withdrawal.
Thank goodness Enjoy Life Foods contacted me with a solution to my depression from lack-of-chocolate: allergen-free chocolate chips. I discovered "Dark Chocolate Morsels" and was instantly cured.  These dark chocolate chips aren't just for those with food allergies.  They are made with top ingredients that any foodie will appreciate: Unsweetened chocolate and sugar cane.  No unwanted soy, no fillers, and nothing artificial.  The chocolate chips are slightly bitter, incredibly satisfying, and they melt in your mouth.  They are exactly how rich, high-quality chocolate should taste.
When I started reviewing the Dark Chocolate Morsels, my husband joked that my review would be pretty short.  "Well, they taste amazing on their own!"  I could not stop snacking on these chocolate chips!  I decided to add some flavor to our tradition of Sunday morning pancakes, and I made a delicious dairy-free chocolate chip pancake recipe.

Dark Chocolate Chip Dairy-Free Pancakes*
*adapted from Hanna's Vegan Kitchen. This original recipe is great if you are gluten-free and vegan.


Serves 4-6

Total time: 20 minutes

2 cups non-dairy milk
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups finely ground corn flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Morsels (sprinkle desired amount onto pancake)

Heat griddle to 350-375 degrees, and wisk together all ingredients except for Chocolate Morsels.  Pour individual pancakes onto griddle and drop Chocolate Morsels onto the individual pancakes (this gives you the flexibility to make some pancakes with dairy-free chocolate, some with no chocolate, some with fresh blueberries, etc).  Flip the pancakes and cook until done.  Serve with maple syrup.

I like to do half the pancakes with chocolate, half without chocolate, and then layer the pancakes for serving.  The chocolate is rich: a little goes a long way!


Enjoy Life Foods has been my salvation during my transition to an allergen-free diet.  I relied on them when I was doing a food allergen elimination diet, and I continue to rely on them for easy snack solutions.  I love that all their products are free from the top food allergens and that the company is environmentally conscious.  These Dark Chocolate Morsels are a great addition to your allegen-free diet, and they are just plain yummy.


Enjoy Life Foods sent me these Chocolate Morsels for the purpose of this review. I was under no obligation to publish a positive review.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my heart goes out to you, mama. I couldn't imagine having to go dairy free... especially while nursing! I am a milk guzzling machine while nursing. Good thing you found a suitable replacement :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would love these! I'm not a dark chocolate fan but he is and just had me make him the richest darkest chocolate cake I've ever had in my life for his birthday. I would have a hard time going dairy free, too. I'm a cheese addict

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dairy free would have been awful. My heart goes out for you. But those chocolate chips do look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these look so delicious. I would probably eat them right out of the bag. Oh, and I love Enjoy Life Foods too! What a fantastic company.

    ReplyDelete