Monday, March 17, 2014

Homespun Northwest: a New Etsy site for baby-friendly products

 
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HomespunNorthwest?ref=l2-shopheader-name
 
Homespun Northwest is a new company on Etsy featuring baby-friendly and eco-friendly cloth diapering, cleaning, and bath products.  All the product recipes are tested and approved by a naturopathic doctor, a midwife, a registered nurse, and a Chinese medicine expert. I was excited to see that Homespun Northwest products are all-natural and vegan. I had the opportunity to sample a few of of the new items and wanted to share my thoughts about them.  
Image Credit: Homespun Northwest


To facilitate my review, Homespun Northwest provided samples of the Baby Booty Balm, Cloth Wipe Solution Cubes, Laundry Soap, and Laundry Stain Remover Cubes.


Baby Booty Balm


Baby Booty Balm Ingredients: organic pure coconut oil, lavender essential oil, chamomile essential oil, raw shea butter

We love coconut oil at our house.  Coconut oil is great for healing skin and shea butter is perfect to protect skin from moisture loss. The Booty Balm worked well in the diaper area and it was completely safe for our cloth diapers.  We also tried it as a moisturizer and it worked well for that too. 
 

Cloth Wipe Solution Cubes


Cloth Wipe Solution Cubes Ingredients: organic coconut oil, aloe vera juice, lavender essential oil, chamomile essential oil, organic mild castile soap, shea butter

I'm new to cloth wipe cubes, so I was happy to give these a try.  I decided to make up a full wipe container and used one cube with 2 cups of water. You can cut the cube in fourths if you want to make 1/2 cup of solution and put it into a spray bottle.  I definitely recommend cutting the cube to help it dissolve.  It took longer than I expected to melt the cube in hot water, so cutting up the cube or making the water hotter is something I will do next time.  I liked that the solution was a little sudsy and had a nice moisturizing feel.  We kept the wipes in use for two weeks and there was no "off" odor indicating that the wipe solution was going bad.  The wipe solution cleaned well and it was very gentle on baby's skin!


Laundry Soap


Laundry Soap Ingredients: borax, washing soda, cotton aromatherapy oil, homemade coconut soap (vegetarian lye, coconut oil, avocado oil, shea butter)

The Laundry Soap from Homespun Northwest is safe for cloth diapers.  I decided to try it on our regular laundry so I didn't have to strip my diapers to test a new detergent.  I used this on our white clothing laundry and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it cleaned my husband's work shirts.  Sometimes deodorant smell can be difficult to remove with natural laundry soaps, but there was no odor after washing with this laundry soap.  One thing I did notice was that you need to use care when mixing up the soap with water: the borax creates an exothermic reaction when it hits the water and it gets hot.  You certainly know that the soap is cleaning!  I also thought the Laundry Soap was a good price: about 60 loads for only $12.
Image credit: Homespun Northwest


Laundry Stain Remover Cubes


Laundry Stain Remover Cubes Ingredients: lavender essential oil, organic mild castile soap, kosher salt, organic pure virgin coconut oil

We (surprisingly) didn't have many stained articles of clothing to clean during the period I was reviewing these products.  I did test the stain remover cubes on some old, stained T-shirts from my daughter.  It maybe lightened the stains a little, but it is important to treat stains before they are washed and dried 30 times (ha..my laundry skills).  What was really exciting, was I used diluted Laundry Stain remover to clean up our old microfiber couch.  The dog hangs out on the couch all the time and I wanted to spruce it up a bit.  I added some of the stain remover solution to a bucket of warm water and gently wiped down the couch (circular scrubbing for particularly stained areas).  You would not believe how much dirt came off of the couch while I was washing it. After the couch dried, it was like having a new couch again!  There are a couple of spots I want to go back to and work at a little more, but the stain remover really helped. 
Image Credit: Homespun Northwest


I enjoyed testing these products and I am definitely interested in trying other products from Homespun Northwest.  Homespun Northwest does have sample size products available for purchase if want to test some of these products for yourself. I just purchased the Rosemary Shaving cream and Frizz Control Leave in conditioner.  It seems like my legs always get so dry after I shave and I have to use a lot of moisturizer.  The Frizz control also sounds perfect for de-tangling unruly hair on a 3-year-old. There are a lot of interesting products available from Homesun Northwest and everything is packaged in a very clean and eco-friendly way.  It's certainly worth checking out this new Etsy site!

Homespun Northwest provided small samples of the products described above for me to try. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the great review! I'm so glad you loved your samples and can't wait for you to try to products you just ordered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for sending some of the items for me to try. You have some really nice products! I am in love with the cloth wipes cubes. I still can't believe that they stay fresh for so long. I have been making my own cloth wipe solution for many years, but I liked your wipe cubes much more than my own solution.

      Delete
  2. How did you like using the Baby Booty Balm rather than just coconut oil? We use coconut oil for almost everything at our house, including baby's bum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Baby Booty Balm has more ingredients than just coconut oil so it's also moisturizing. If you like coconut oil, I think you will also like this balm. We really love coconut oil! Thankfully our baby doesn't have much issue with diaper rash, so we mostly tried the Booty Balm as a moisturizer and really liked it for that. Sometimes coconut oil can be too drying, so it really depends on your baby's skin. I like that this has the essential oils and moisturizer right in the product so there is no need to do multiple layers of different products.

      Delete