Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 11-17th is the 4th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge


http://dirtydiaperlaundry.com/second-annual-flats-and-handwashing-challenge-may-21-27-sign-up/
It's the 4th annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge and Cloth Diaper Guru bloggers are participating.  This is my second year participating in the event.  Last year I attempted this event with my 2-month-old baby and it was a challenge for me.  My baby was using 12-15 diapers in a day (that lovely newborn baby poop), and I was having a terrible time keeping up with handwashing duties despite being home on my maternity leave. I was also completely new to flat diapers during last years' challenge and I had a rough learning curve.

One major benefit of last years' challenge was, despite some difficulties, I fell in love with flat diapers.  We started using flats full-time in August of 2013.  We use them at daycare and at home, and I'm going to give you more details about how and why we made the switch in some coming posts during this week.

While I love flats, handwashing is certainly not my favorite thing in the world.  I always seem to add too much detergent when I handwash.  However, this year I'm using a new detergent for handwashing.  We started using Molly's Suds* Cloth Diaper Powder in September of 2013 and this will be my first time trying it for handwashing diapers.  I'm eager to see if this detergent change will make the process easier and require less rinsing. 

Life has been incredibly busy over the last few months (does it ever really slow down?), so this will also be another test of feasibility.  Is it really practical to handwash diapers?  Can a busy family make this work?  Would I save enough money to make this practical for a family struggling financially?  I'm very eager to answer more of these questions and show that cloth diapering is really something that anyone can do: even those without access to a washing machine.

Let me know if you're participating and please share your stories.  We'll be linking up at Dirty Diaper Laundry for this event. I encourage you to read along and share your encouragement or your questions.

*I am a Molly's Suds Ambassador

No comments:

Post a Comment