Monday, July 21, 2014

Öko Créations Big Bib for Little Bellies #Review

Öko Créations recently contacted Cloth Diaper Guru bloggers with the opportunity to feature one of their beautiful bibs. The Öko Créations Big Bib for Little Bellies comes in a variety of very cute prints. I chose the “Magic World” print, featuring cute woodland creatures and a cheery color theme. The panel at the bottom is a symmetrical red and white Moroccan pattern that compliments the print very nicely. Two red snaps on the end coordinate and make the red strawberries and toadstools amongst the woodland creatures pop.  I normally dislike red, but there was something about the tasteful way red was used in this arrangement that appealed to me when I chose it.
Photo Credit Öko Créations
I am not a child psychologist, but I can see how this print would be pleasing to children, not just adults. It is colorful and adorable and when you look at it you just think happy thoughts. Color, coordination, and print choices are definitely a win for this product. Not to mention they are made from 100% certified organic cotton. I haven’t personally seen the other prints this bib comes in, but from their pictures on the website they appear to be equally as pleasing. Not only the color and print choices, but the workmanship and design bespeak a clean, polished look that will get even the most genteel parent’s stamp of approval. A clean look may be a funny way to describe a bib! But that is part of its Magic charm. How can something so clean really look messy, even when it is…actually messy? To be sure, this polished look is still one that is suitable for a children’s accessory and one that children will also love to look at and wear. Their designs really are the perfect symbiosis of both worlds of aesthetics, something that is much desired in a product like a bib.
Photo Credit Öko Créations
When I first received the Big Bib for Little Bellies in the mail, I was thrilled that the print was even more loveable in person, but in the next moment disappointed that the coordinating panel on the bottom was just there for decoration, and not functionality. From the website picture I had thought it was a pocket, and I appreciate pockets in bibs so I was really looking forward to that. The backside is terrycloth, which is nice and absorbent, so it would sop up the majority of what spilled if a whole cup of something spilled on your child.  That level of absorbency is honestly not a feature you find in many other bibs on the market, so it is something to be noted. I was also thinking that the bib was going to be waterproof, but it’s not. The front of the bib is cotton, it’s not PUL or TPU, but this avoids the crunchy feel you get with traditional bibs.

When it came time to use the bib; however, my initial disappointments about the lack of pocket were redeemed. I was pleasantly surprised that the bib was indeed a big bib covering my 2 year old’s entire little belly! And 2 year olds do have those sort of freaky-cute little pot-bellies, do they not?! She is an extraordinarily messy eater, so I am accustomed to simply taking all her clothes off before a mealtime. She wore nothing but the bib and the diaper.  I was glad for the two snaps for sizing around the neck, because she was up to the second snap. The bib dutifully caught all messes, and prevented any food from touching her little belly. After dinner every night my girls get to eat a popsicle while they watch their princess movie.

Giddily, I thought, "The bib even covers up my precious cloth diaper. How nice!" After considering how one of my friends recently posted in our local cloth diapering group lamenting that a favorite diaper had been stained by tomato sauce, I can see this particular bib becoming extremely popular in cloth diapering communities, for this very reason. It’s a big bib.


The bib was used and stained with sticky popsicle juice, naturally left to sit out on my laminate living room floor overnight next to a melted puddle of popsicle (opps! Thank goodness we don’t have ants!). The next morning I picked it up and handwashed it in the sink with Seventh Generation dish soap. I wanted to see if this bib, since it’s not wipe-able as I was envisioning, could be cleaned in the kitchen sink like a rag, and then hung to dry and used again for the next mealtime or at least dinner the following night. I put it outside on a table in this summer sun and dry desert heat and it dried in less than an hour while I was sweeping and tidying my back patio. The popsicle stain that had still been there after I washed it was also completely gone. It wasn’t smooth and pretty-looking anymore as it had been when it arrived to me brand new. It was wrinkly. But of course, that will happen to almost any cloth item once it’s been washed, unless of course it’s jersey knit. I wanted to sun it, so for that reason I didn’t put it in the dryer.  If I had tumble dried it on low, as the tag suggests, I’m sure it would not have been as wrinkled, if at all.

So, overall, I am pleased with this new bib. My favorite things about it are the print, the absorbency, and the size. Thank you for creating a new product, Öko Créations, one that is perfect for sweet little bellies and messy little hands.

Stacy Mojica is an accredited Real Diaper Association leader, founded the Low Country Real Diaper Circle, Sun City Real Diaper Circle, and Cloth for Everybum, Inc. She has two daughters; born in 2011 and 2012. Stacy has a degree in English and ran a small artisan cloth diaper shop via Etsy for one year, but has made her career in cloth diaper advocacy and education. Stacy has a tendency to hyper-focus.  Give her a coffee and a kid-free hour and she will do amazing things! 

Disclosure: Öko Créations provided a free product for this reviewer, but the opinions are her own.

2 comments:

  1. This is really cute and I love the size! Typical bibs are much too small. I might have to look into this for a spaghetti bib

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute bib! I like the longer design a lot. Definitely useful for older toddlers.

    ReplyDelete