Thursday, October 16, 2014

Going Green with Reusable Press Pouches #Review

Food pouches are rapidly becoming the latest trend among parents. While I like using food pouches, I don’t like buying expensive pre-filled pouches at stores. Another drawback to these pouches is the amount of waste they produce.

Press PouchPress Pouch is an easy and convenient, reusable food pouch that you fill with a ready-to-eat snack. The pouches neatly hold traditional baby food purees, applesauce, yogurt, smoothies, etc. What sets Press Pouches apart from other reusable pouches is the choke-proof cap, extra-large preview window, and the wide-fill bases. The product is made from high quality BPA, phthalate, and PVC free materials, yet is strong enough to allow freezing and dishwasher cleaning.

I was intrigued when the Press Pouch arrived and began to prepare it almost immediately. I used a spoon to load applesauce from the bottom of the pouch and used the big preview window to see how much applesauce I was adding. This preview window also takes the guesswork out when you’re in a hurry and need to grab a specific pouch from your fridge. I must admit I had a hard time sealing the pouch the first time. The key is not overfilling it (the dashed lines function as guides) and making sure the threads are clean so they can properly close. I used a napkin to clean the closure and get a good seal. I make sure I squeeze the pouch each time to reassure it’s correctly closed and I’ve had no further problems with leaks.

The Press Pouch is also easy to clean and you can use a soft bottle brush the scrub the inside. I typically let the pouch soak in warm soapy water for a while and then wash it. When we were out and about I made sure I capped the pouch so the inside wouldn’t dry because dry food is harder to clean. The Press Pouch can also be cleaned in the dishwasher, although I have never done this. Busy moms can easily clean, refill and store in the fridge for snack time. Multiple pouches can be filled and stored in the freezer, then prepared at any time by passing them through warm water.
Using a Press Pouch
We practice baby-led weaning with our 8-month old, which works for us because she refuses to be fed by anyone other than herself. The Press Pouch has allowed her to successfully and neatly feed herself yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal and other foods that would otherwise be messy to eat with a spoon. The pouch is easy to hold and, since the spout is at the top, she’s able to get all the food out as she eats. She now gets excited every time she sees the pouch and knows she’s getting a snack.

The Press Pouch is simple to use, remaining true to its tag line “Prep it, Fill it, Press it”. Overall, I recommend this reusable pouch for its simplicity to use, fill and clean. Each Press Pouch can hold enough contents to cover a single meal and when it’s finished you can refill it instead of throwing it away. You can purchase a pack of three reusable Press Pouches for only $11.99 at their online store: http://www.presspouch.com.

Disclosure: Press Pouch gave me one product to review. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review and the opinions expressed here are solely my own.

1 comment:

  1. Green house cleaning has the potential to vastly improve the quality of the air in your office or facility. So we must use non-toxic cleaners & mop systems.

    ReplyDelete